From an old kitchen to the modern baklava atelier.
Nikos Kolionasios, the founder of the company, was born to a family of farmers in a small village near the lake of Ioannina. Back in the ’30s in rural Greece, families grew their own food almost literally in their backyard.
Pies and pastry sweets were on the menu.
The recipes were simple with the exception of baklava.
Nikos married Xanthi and they moved to Athens in pursuit of a better life. They started a bakery and soon their bread and sweets became a success, but it was their handmade baklava that earned a reputation well beyond their neighbourhood.
Nikos knew they had to produce more and better.
That called for research, investment and skilled craftsmen they couldn’t find in thecountry’s capital.
So they returned to Ioannina and established an atelier where baklava rolls were individually packed in foil and shipped to every corner of Greece.
Athena introduces a royal sweet to new markets.
Athena, their daughter was called in to upgrade the packaging and streamline the production process of this handmade sweet.
By the late ‘90s, the N.Kolionasios company was already leading the Greek baklava market.
As tourism brought young people from Europe and America, their baklava became more and more popular. It was time for exports.
Consumers in Germany, Belgium, Netherland, and other european countries, had been introduced to a baklava of turkish origin, strong in butter and thick in texture.
Too sweet and bad for the diet, that was the general perception in USA and Canada as well.
Very few people actually knew baklava's richness in variety and sensations.
Athena spent almost a decade researching and trying different fillings, syrups and baking times to create a variety of elegant baklava flavours for the a citizens of our modern world.
A leading local producer of a cosmopolitan sweet
Local recipes with spices, nuts and dried fruit from around the Mediterranean form the rich baklava “vocabulary” of baklava.
From this vast source of ideas and flavours we pick our own. Pistachio, almond, hazelnut, walnut, raisin, fig, pomegranate, date, prune, orange, apricot, apple, sesame, sunflower, pumpkin and flux seeds, mastic, rosewater, cardamom, cinnamon, clove.
Only the premium. Peanuts? No, thank you. Honey? Generously, yes. And fresh milk butter or extra virgin olive oil to turn everything into a thing of bliss.
Now Athena Sweet Athena exports in more than 25 countries, a leading local producer of a cosmopolitan sweet.
Unique and stylish for the people you love.
Our Baklava golden roll collections make for a unique and stylish gift for the people you love. They are suitable for a wide range of events, for any specific dietary or religious requirements.
We tailor our products to your specific market requirements. This is what we offer:
• Range: the greatest variety of flavors and baklava recipes in the world.
• Reliability: high quality product, flawless order execution, market proven recipes.
• Sales support: full product label specifications, quality assurance specialists, liability coverage through to the final consumer, streamlined production according to strict ISO 22000: 2005 standards, FSSC 22000: 2010 and soon IFS quality standards.
"Athena Sweet Athena" produces rare, awarded Baklava recipes, in a unique variety of over 50 different flavors, which are available in elegant packages, with vegan options and of course our exclusive collection of Baklava without sugar.
All the products are handcrafted, made only from selected ingredients, according to strict quality assurance systems, and include:
* Greek Baklava with authentic family recipes made from Greek selected raw materials and vegetable oils, with outstanding labeling, vegan options and the distinction of the Finest Greece’s Baklava.
* Mediterranean Light with 8 flavors of the richest collection of the Mediterranean recipes, made with vegetable oils, a tasteful on the go delicacy. A value for money energy bar, awarded by Great Taste Awards in August 2018.
* Cosmopolitan Baklava amalgamates the light vanilla flavor, the crispy phyllo dough, the mix of nuts and oat flakes, the richness in fiber and the extra virgin olive oil, a vegan product, available in delectable flavors, such as:
✓ Walnut, Oat flakes & Vanilla Flavor, ✓Kataif, Nuts, Oat flakes & Vanilla Flavor ✓Pistachio, Oat flakes & Vanilla Flavor, as well as the extended festive recipes:
✓ Chocolate Chai ✓ Pumpkin Spice ✓ Pistachio rich ✓ Salted Caramel, a collection awarded by Great Taste awards September 2020
The awards Chefs’ impressions:
"Wonderful crisp well made filo pastry gives way to a well judged level of spicing with a good nutty presence. It's all there in a delicate little baklava roll. The flavours are very much those of Christmas!"
* Garden of Eden a whole new world of Baklava bites without sugar. With organic Agave syrup, rich in fiber, a vegan product, with extra virgin olive oil.
The collection comes in boxes of 7 pcs offered in 3 exquisite flavors: ✓vanilla & coffee, ✓maple & ginger, ✓ fig & apple, awarded by Great Taste awards September 2020
The awards Chefs' review:
"There is a good crunch with the flavour of the vanilla and coffee coming in a gentle wave. This products shows great skill as the sugar has been reduced but it is still indulgent and tasty with the other flavours standing up well to the sweet notes.
A delightful little baklava roll!"
* Baklava Gold in 6 of the most popular varieties of premium Baklava, made with the finest dough, fresh milk butter and rich filling to satisfy the most demanding consumer. Awarded by Great Taste Awards in August 2018.
* Athena Sweet Athena. A unique collection of 6 rare and rich flavors reflecting the different baklava cultures from Middle East to Mediterranean.
With extra filling and pure aromatic fresh butter, available in prestigious Gift Boxes. Awarded by the “Superior Taste Award” (iTQi) and by Great Taste Awards in August 2019 and September 2020
The awards Chefs’ commentary:
“Luscious looking sweet treat with truly wonderful pastry, crisp, buttery and delicious, The filling is well judged to bring some great fruit and nut notes which come together well to produce a great tasting sweet gem!”